First United Methodist Church St Pete
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Questions covered in “Membership 101” are:
· What is expected of church members?
· What are the membership vows?
· Do I need to be baptized in order to join the church?
· What if I have not been baptized?
· Must I attend a new member class in order to join?
· How do I join?
· When can I join?
What are the membership vows?
When you join, one of the pastors will ask you some questions that you will answer publicly.
"Will you be loyal to the United Methodist Church and uphold it by your prayers, your presence,
your gifts, your service and your witness?”
Don’t join just to get you name on the rolls of the Church!
Join because you want to be a full active member of this family. We will ask you to agree to:
• attending worship regularly
• growing in your personal journey of faith
• serving the Lord in the congregation, the local community and the world
• giving in proportion to your income
• sharing your witness by upholding and living out your membership vows
Must I be baptized to join?
It is necessary to be accepted into Christ’s holy church through baptism prior to being received into church membership.
(see more details in “Baptism 101”)
What if I have not been baptized?
For adults who have not been baptized, and are seeking membership at FUMC, we would love to help you take this very important step in your faith.
(see more details in “Baptism 101”)
Must I attend a new member class to join this church?
Yes, completing our “Discover First” New Member Class is a requirement before joining FUMC. The reason being we want to arm you with pertinent information that will help you in making a well-informed decision concerning church membership.
This class is held in a casual and comfortable atmosphere where you can meet our Pastor(s) and learn basic information concerning the United Methodist Church (history and beliefs) and Discipleship, as well as, specific information relating to FUMC (our ministries, leadership, service opportunities, mission/vision, etc). All discussions are designed to offer help as you consider the meaning of becoming a member of FUMC and the expectations that come with being a part of the church body.
“Discover First” New Member Classes are offered once a quarter. You may find out the date of our next class by calling our church office (727)894-4661 on Monday -Thursday from 9am to 5pm –or- on Fridays from 9am to 2pm.
How do I join?
There are 3 ways to join our congregation:
1. By Profession of Faith and Baptism Begin your life of faith in Jesus Christ by receiving Christian baptism. Baptism is a symbol of God’s grace and a mark of your life as a Christian. It is an indication that you believe in Christ, want to be a part of His church, and intend to lead a new life as God enables you.
2. By Transfer from another United Methodist Church Our church invites you to become a part of our congregation and look forward to worshipping and serving with you. The church office handles the transfer paperwork with your previous congregation. All you need to do is provide them with the name and mailing address of the other United Methodist Church.
3. By Transfer from another Christian Denomination: I’m not a Methodist - can I still join FUMC? Yes, in fact, many people who join FUMC come from different faiths. If you have been baptized, we accept your baptism and your belief in Jesus Christ and warmly welcome you to join.
United Methodists accept your Christian baptism from another denomination and do not require you to be re-baptized to join our church. We welcome you into our congregation as a full participating member.
When can I join?
Once you have completed the “Discover First” New Member Class, there will be a Sunday set aside on the church calendar as “Membership Sunday” (usually 1-2 weeks from the completion of the class). New Members class participants join on this date and are welcome to do so at any of our Sunday Worship Services: 8:00am – 9:30am – 11:00am.